Saturday, March 26, 2022

Human instinct must have been kicking in. Still remember the exact place, and the thoughts

running through my 6 or 7 year old brain.  Was the first time i was witnessed to.  Neighbor girl, Lois, was from a churchgoing family.  She said something about God being angry with sinners.  No, don't recall her exact words, but do recall - as if my reaction to her words happened last Tuesday - thinking, along the lines of, i'm in serious trouble.  Being that my folks didn't do church, though Dad's mom did - gram went to a for-real church - anyway, i barely looked skyward, out of fear, in knowing that, that i could be zapped with a bolt of lightening.  i remember not even thinking about quarreling with that angry "white bearded old man" (okay, can't resist taking that little pot shot at Lord-bashers :).

Then, my neighbor told me about Jesus.  And no, can't remember her exact words, but do recall my reaction to her words.  Such relief.  i then knew, i wouldn't get zapped, or whatever, because Jesus likes kids.  Here's what else that popped into my little noggin.  Instinct at work?  i knew that, that "white bearded" old sky warrior loved his son, and because he loved his son, the old king wouldn't zap me.  In short, Jesus protected kids (like me) from his father's anger.

And there's something else, i recall.  Simply accepting things as they were.  Basically, not even considering wanting to question or judge the relationship between Father and Son - the father being angry, while the son being protecting.  All's i knew was, Father and Son were close, and just plain accepted that.

So, did i come to a saving knowledge that day?   Even though i did not fault God for his anger toward me (YES, i remember not even for one second, harboring any resentment, only accepting things as they were.)  Seriously believe, i had come within an inch of salvation.  But i don't recall asking Jesus to save me.

Getting across that final inch, didn't happen until around this time of year, twelve years ago.  

No comments:

Post a Comment