Sunday, March 14, 2021

Fifty years ago, just when the spoiled hippie donkeys started braying

about things they knew NOTHING about, most Americans - even lower income Americans - enjoyed hassle-free heat.  Feeling chilly?  Just turn up the dial, a notch or two - no worrie$.  The only people who lugged logs (and endlessly swept up after them) lived out in the boonies.  

But nnoooo, the gaia-groupies, thinking they knew better than their fathers and grandfathers - many whom, by the way, died early through WORKING very hard, to provide their wives and kids, warm, safe, hassle-free heat - started in with their gaia sermons.   Ya know, how fossil-fuels are bbaaadd for the environment.  Funny (not) how fuel costs steadily increased in the early 70s, and in the 80s and 90s, stores were selling lots of floor-space-hogging - if not dangerous - space-heaters, and those pig-in-a-poke polyester throw-blankets-with-sleeves.  

Whaddabuncha hooey, the smiley faces, when the reality was - and is - of people sitting on their duffs all winter long, because huddled in a fake-fabric excuse-for-a-blanket is the only way to stay warm - because it's too expensive to turn the notch much above 60.  If i was a conspiracy theorist, i'd wonder if the sleeved-blankey purveyors were in bed with the weightloss-mongers - huddled for warmth, doesn't keep the table-tops neat or the floors swept.

Fifty years ago, yes money was tight for my parents - having 4 kids to provide for...  Anyway, their home was heated with base-board hot water, oil-powered heat - the house was always warm.   The temp was probably around 69.  Oh, and by the way, there was always meat, and plenty of it, for supper.  Mom's parents lived across the street; they also heated with oil; their thermostat was set at 73 or 74.  Neither did my grandparents have to choose between heat or eat.  

America was such a different place, when patriarchal (i.e., WORKING) men still ran things.   Back then, even among lower income residents, you didn't find yourself thirty miles down the road, and suddenly worrying, "did I lock my front door?"  

2 comments:

  1. I don't blame the Dems but blame both perhaps? Everyone is far poorer now, I think the last generation that will have any life quality is the boomer one, maybe some well off Gen Xers. I am not among their lot. The planet is dying so don't blame the environmentalists. My parents had money I could only dream of, our house was too warm when I was growing up, was always hot. Drove me nuts. I keep things around 65-67 in here, illness makes me keep it a little higher. I get cold when it dip into the low 60s even under. I have some beliefs that being cold keeps the weight more stable, I can't lose like other people, but sometimes will keep myself cold on purpose during the winter to raise the metabolism and to keep weight gain away. Can't go too cold, maybe mid 60s to low 60s and sometimes lower for some hours. We can't have the bills go too high either. It doesn't get as cold here as it used to. Apartments sometimes can borrow heat off others, and I can avoid turning the heat on sometimes into very late Oct or November. I live in the north.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Peeps, being older, i feel the cold more, and so keep a sweater nearby. So glad spring is coming :)

    ReplyDelete